Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
 Radium Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 Radium Forums > Radium Technologies Beta Products > Future Radium Products > Diet Software
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Lee Grainger
Living Cookbook Developer

Diet Software

We have received many requests to create diet software with the same user interface and nutrition capabilities as Living Cookbook. Interest in this product was so overwhelming that we have decided to make it our next product. Most of the framework for the software has already been finished, but we would really like to learn more about what users would like to see this application do (or not do).

This software will not favor a particular type of diet. It will be an information management tool for dieters. It will help users track nutrition, recipes, meal planning, exercise and weight. In other words it will be just as easy for a low-carb dieter to track carbohydrates as it will be for a low-fat dieter to track the various types of fat.

The tentative features are:

- Create multiple personal profiles (e.g. one for you, one for your spouse, etc.) each with its own meal planning calendar, weight target, progress reports, nutrition reports, etc.

- Flexible and customizable reporting engine that will let you create summary reports, graphs, and bar charts to help you visualize your progress. You will be able to choose from a variety of built-in reports or create your own.

- Create, edit, import, export, organize and print recipes, menus and meal plans.

- Perform nutrition analysis for any meal, day, week, month (or other time period), recipe or menu.

- Calculate (or estimate) the number of calories burned by performing various physical activities.

- Enter weight goals, enter (and chart) daily weights, and calculate estimated weight loss over time (using nutrition and calorie expenditure data from recent days).

- Ingredient database. Over 6000 common ingredients with complete nutrition data.

- Cookbooks with low fat, low carb, and other diet recipes.

This application does not have a name yet. It's tentative release date is first quarter 2024.

We welcome your feedback.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-15-2002 04:51 PM
Lee Grainger is offline Visit Lee Grainger's homepage! Find more posts by Lee Grainger Edit/Delete Message
certen
New User

Reply to new diet software

In the ingredients section a place for adding sugar alcohols, even though sugar alcohols are added in the ingredients the carbs should be able to be subtracted out since the body does not absorb them. The ability for the software to subtract fiber from the carbohydrate count in order to get and amount of carb that really counts. These two functions would be most helpful in calculating lowcarb diet information.
Thanks,
Cherry

12-26-2002 05:22 PM
certen is offline Find more posts by certen Edit/Delete Message
Jim Sposato
Never Trust A Skinny Cook

Name of Software?

Lee,

I would name it The Living Diet Software The reason I would name it that is to create a LIVING software package. The LIVING means to me is that it's always changing, growing getting better.

12-26-2002 09:45 PM
Jim Sposato is offline Visit Jim Sposato's homepage! Find more posts by Jim Sposato Edit/Delete Message
rburk
New User

Just a suggestion, but one that may help your user to "design your own" effective weight loss program.

I am sure you have probably already thought of this.

An interesting feature you might consider adding to this software is the ability to display a chart of perodic (daily, weekly, etc) weight gain or loss superimposed upon a chart of caloric intake for the same period.

This would assist serious dieters in determining their maintainence caloric requirements and the optimum caloric intake or dieting method.

For example - it is said that too low a caloric intake causes slowing of metabolism and may, in fact, be counterproductive.

Also, some suggest that frequent small meals are most effective, others feel that fasting one day and eating "normally" the next is better.

It would allow the user to develop an effective weight loss program based upon his body's response.

Perhaps you might allow the user to customize a comparison chart in some way, such as comparing weight loss to carbohydrate intake, or carbohydrate intake to caloric intake etc.etc. Or allow more than two comparisons, such as fat intake, caloric intake and weight loss.

You may also be able to incorporate the method in some way, such as frequent small meals, Weight Watchers Program, Grapefruit Diet, or whatever the user is trying. perhaps by allowing the user to enter a caption or designate a color for the line or chart background that corresponds to a color he chooses to represent that particular method.

Another possibility is a "health chart". This would allow the person to document, for example, fat intake and reference it with changes in serum cholesterol (or LDL and HDL) levels. Or caloric intake or carbohydrate intake referenced to blood sugar.

Ruth

12-30-2002 04:41 PM
rburk is offline Find more posts by rburk Edit/Delete Message
Lee Grainger

Ruth,

Fantastic. We are definitely on the same page. Our design exactly matches what you described. You will be able to "design your own" weight loss program just as you described. You will also be able to create (and customize) time-series charts showing nutritional data, weight, resting heart rate, cholesterol levels, and blood pressure over time.

We are planning to build templates for most of the popular diets. These templates would include charts customized for the particular diet. For example, the Atkins diet would show carbohydrate consumption and ketone levels over time (in addition to the usual weight tracking, etc.).

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

01-02-2003 03:56 PM
Lee Grainger is offline Visit Lee Grainger's homepage! Find more posts by Lee Grainger Edit/Delete Message
dfulgham
New User

Re: Diet Software

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Grainger
We have received many requests to create diet software with the same user interface and nutrition capabilities as Living Cookbook. Interest in this product was so overwhelming that we have decided to make it our next product. Most of the framework for the software has already been finished, but we would really like to learn more about what users would like to see this application do (or not do).

This software will not favor a particular type of diet. It will be an information management tool for dieters. It will help users track nutrition, recipes, meal planning, exercise and weight. In other words it will be just as easy for a low-carb dieter to track carbohydrates as it will be for a low-fat dieter to track the various types of fat.

The tentative features are:

- Create multiple personal profiles (e.g. one for you, one for your spouse, etc.) each with its own meal planning calendar, weight target, progress reports, nutrition reports, etc.

- Flexible and customizable reporting engine that will let you create summary reports, graphs, and bar charts to help you visualize your progress. You will be able to choose from a variety of built-in reports or create your own.

- Create, edit, import, export, organize and print recipes, menus and meal plans.

- Perform nutrition analysis for any meal, day, week, month (or other time period), recipe or menu.

- Calculate (or estimate) the number of calories burned by performing various physical activities.

- Enter weight goals, enter (and chart) daily weights, and calculate estimated weight loss over time (using nutrition and calorie expenditure data from recent days).

- Ingredient database. Over 6000 common ingredients with complete nutrition data.

- Cookbooks with low fat, low carb, and other diet recipes.

This application does not have a name yet. It's tentative release date is first quarter 2024.

We welcome your feedback.

Lee, I am an enthusiastic fan of the Living Cookbook and eagerly await the release of your diet software. Would you consider a Windows/PDA version? I currently use a diet software from HealthETech, called Balance Log and it has helped me lose weight. Being able to carry the info with me in my PDA helps when I'm away from the desktop. A diet control program that would allow me to import my Living Cookbook recipe nutritional information in addition to the common ingredients would be the perfect software for me.

01-12-2003 12:55 PM
dfulgham is offline Find more posts by dfulgham Edit/Delete Message
Lee Grainger

Good idea. The diet software will be compatible with a range of Plam products (as well as Living Cookbook).

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

01-12-2003 09:25 PM
Rcrew
User

Links with Living Cookbook

I'm wondering how it well it will integrate with LC. Your outline mentions importing and exporting.

Will this be a completely separate application that runs alone only? Or can it be integrated with LC to give us drag and drop functions?

Last edited by Rcrew on 01-14-2003 at 03:52 PM

01-14-2003 06:37 AM
Rcrew is offline Find more posts by Rcrew Edit/Delete Message
Lee Grainger

The diet software features are a superset of those in Living Cookbook. If you purchase the upgrade, all of your Living Cookbook data will be imported into the diet software, so you won't need two separate applications.

The data interchange features (import and export) will be used when a Living Cookbook user wants to trade recipes with a diet software user.

Regards,

Lee

01-14-2003 04:38 PM
John
Here Often

Diet Software

Hello Lee,

This forum is fantastic!

What I would like to see see along with the the weight tracking is medical stats. This would include blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol (both good and bad), and insulin. As the body adapts to the new diet the medical stats will change and this would be a good tool to see if that doctor ordered diet is working or not.

Along with tracking carbohydrates and fats I would like it to tracks sugars and vitimans. I hope that is not asking for too much

Thanks, John

01-20-2003 11:57 PM
John is offline Visit John's homepage! Find more posts by John Edit/Delete Message
Lee Grainger

John,

Great! I hadn't thought of blood glucose and insulin. Good idea. Everything else you suggested is already being implemented.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

01-21-2003 12:00 AM
Rcrew
User

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Grainger
...We are planning to build templates for most of the popular diets...
Lee

You're probably already thinking this, but thought I'd mention, that it would be perfect for me if the templates included the Weight Watchers exercise points system, fully integrated with the weekly menu, for a complete points analysis! And safety checks for recipes part of a weekly menu that aren't fully linked for the most accurate nutritional analysis.

Thanks, Rob

01-21-2003 07:21 PM
Lee Grainger

Rob,

I like your suggestion, but unfortunately Weight Watcher's will be the only diet not supported by our software. Weight Watcher's is a proprietary diet program and their legal team is ten times the size of our whole company. If you want to see what would happen if we included them in our software, try doing a Google search on "weight watchers legal". We don't need that kind of grief.

Lee

01-21-2003 07:36 PM
Rcrew
User

Sorry to hear that. I thought that since there was a way to calculate points after fully linking a recipe, there would be a way to use the exercise formulas to do those points as well.

I'm still very interested in the software you're developing!

Thanks, Rob

01-21-2003 09:29 PM
Lee Grainger

You will still be able to use (and configure) MyPoints. There just won't be a Weight Watcher's template per se.

I hope that makes sense.

Lee

01-21-2003 09:31 PM